Latest Posts

Live Laugh Line Dance Weekend Workshops

By 20:40:00 , , , , , , , ,

A little later than planned - today's post details all the line dances taught in the day workshops at our Live laugh line dance weekend in Bracklesham Bay last weekend. The workshops featured some of the biggest names in line dancing - Rob Fowler, Dee Musk, Vikki Morris, Peter Metelnick and & Alison Biggs.


Line Dancing

Below you will find details of each dance taught in the order we were taught them (the choreographers all took it in turn to teach their dances). I have attached scripts and videos for each one (where available) along with a write up on my own personal thoughts on each dance.


Day 1


Drift Away

The first dance which we did was 'Drift Away'. It's a lovely little dance to a country track by Nathan Carter but with a fairly quick tempo. None of the dance steps are particularly difficult and I particularly like the stomp stomp swivet steps in it as well. This dance goes really well to the music and its very catchy too so you will find yourself humming to it long after you've learnt it.

Dance Details

32 Count, 4 Wall Improver to 'Drift Away' by Nathan Carter choreographed by Rob Fowler

Script: Drift Away

Video from Youtube:




Black and White

Our next dance was Dee's new dance Black and White, This dance is so beautiful to watch, I really can't wait to learn it once I'm up dancing properly again. I love the 1/4 twist right and back again in the first step it looks so graceful, especially when Dee dances it, the sway steps also work really well and the turns go so beautifully with the music. The track is so lovely too - I've already downloaded it however the version in the video below is actually sung by Nikki Napier of Calico (wish I could have her version as well) and I think she sings it better than the track I downloaded.

Dance Details

48 Count, 2 wall Advanced dance, 'Black and White' by The Shires choreographed by Dee Musk.


Script: Black and White

My video:





Moon Trance

Rob's second teach was 'Moon Trance' and I have to say there were elements of this that realy reminded me of 'Coastin' and 'Pot of gold' so if you like those dances like I do, you will probably like this. I wasn't sure about the music on this one but the more I hear it the more I like it. The dance itself is good too and if it wasn't for the turns I think an improver dancer would be able to manage it. I like the switch steps with the rock backs in the dance however I don't remember ever doing switch steps with a back rock so it takes some getting used. There is one restart on wall 3 at the end of section 4 but it feels like it fits well and the end of section 4 does feel like the end of a section making it easier to go onto the next section.


Dance Details

Script: 
Moon Trance

64 count, 4 wall Intermediate dance, 'Moon Trance' by Lindsey Stirling Choreographed by Rob Fowler.




Some Girls Will

Vikki's first teach was a fun little dance called 'Some Girls Will', its not been released yet so I can't post the video or script, but I can guarantee you will all recognise the music and will be singing along in no time. It's a fairly quick dance and I can't remember what level (either Improver or Intermediate) and I will confirm these details once I have them. I do know that this one had no restarts or tags and as dances like that are very rare nowadays I suspect we will see a lot more of this dance. I for one would love to have another opportunity to dance it.

Dance Details:

64 Count, 4 wall Improver dance to 'Some girls won't by Mike Denver choreographed by Vikki Morris.

Script: Some Girls Will (Copperknob link)

UPDATE 8/9/16: VIDEO NOW AVAILABLE: 


You don't know love

Alison & Peter's first teach of the weekend was 'You don't know love', it's a 2 wall intermediate dance to a track that is widely being played on commercial radio at the moment so I'm sure most people will be familliar with it. I particularly like the start with the dorothy step (called a wizard step in the script) as it fits the rhythm of the dance and I think the whole of this dance fits very well to the music. My only concern with this one is that I will get carried away singing it and will go wrong when I'm dancing.

Dance Details

Script: 
You don't know love

64 Count, 2 wall Intermediate dance, 'You don't know love' by Olly Murs and choreographed by Peter Metelnick & Alison Biggs.

My Video of Alison and Peter demo  (audio now fully muted due to copyright)




Lose yourself in the rhythm

Alison and Peter's second teach was 'Lose yourself in the rhythm', it's not been released yet so there is no script and no video yet but as soon as these are available I will add them here. I really liked this dance, it has a latino rhythm to it and when I was talking to Peter about it later in the weekend he told me that the music reminded him of the theme tune to the Sex and the City tv show (which I'm a big fan of) which made me enjoy it all the more. I really loved the sexy feel of the dance with its slow mambo step style rocks. Hopefully you can see it for yourself soon, but I for one am looking forward to when it is fully released.

Dance Details

Script - Not yet released

2 wall intermediate line dance to 'I wanna dance with you' by Stephanie Jones and choreographed by Alison Biggs and Peter Metelnick.


UPDATE 8/9/2016: VIDEO NOW AVAILABLE:




Day 2


The Compass Dance

The first dance taught in our second workshop on day 2 was 'The Compass Dance', again this one has not yet been released so I can't publish the video or script and I will also add them here once they are available. This dance was choreographed to a version of 'Killing me softly', I grew up with the Fugees version but I really like this one as well and I found myself singing all the way through this one as well. The dance is called the compass dance due to the tags in it. There are 4 tags one on each wall and they are very straight forward and easy to hear in the music. They also follow on from each other, the first I think was on the front wall, the second at 3pm, the third at 6pm and the fourth at 9pm. (I may be a wall out as to where the first tag started and if this is the case I will correct this once the scripts are released). I did manage to have a go at this one and quite liked it, I look forward to seeing this one when it is released.

Dance Details

4 Wall, High improver line dance to 'Killing me softly'(Burlesque House edit) by Mo'Jive choreographed by Alison Biggs and Peter Metelnick.


I can't unlove you


My favourite (and the only) waltz of the weekend was this one by Vikki Morris, it is an absolutely beautiful dance with some lovely twinkles, sways and sweeping steps in it. The step kick and half turn waltz steps remind me of 'Midnight Waltz' and the song is such a beautiful one to listen to which I have already downloaded (I love my country ballads). The dance has 2 restarts in but they both seem to fit really well and are quite clear in the music. I don't get to do that many waltzes so I was disappointed not to be able to do this one but I'm really hoping to get an opportunity to do this as it really is beautiful.

Dance Details

ScriptI can't unlove you (Copperknob as not yet on linedancer magazine)
96 count, 3 wall intermediate dance to 'Unlove you' by Jennifer Nettles choreographed by Vikki Morris

My Video:







Na Na Na

It's not often that you get to have a go at an AB dance so I jumped hopped at the chance to try this one, Rob Fowler's third teach of the weekend. Its a beginner dance so wasn't difficult at all and is a dance you can have a lot of fun with it and really put your own stamp on it (like you'll see in the video below). Some of the steps in section A are a bit tricky and take some getting used to particularly the syncopated steps after the full walking turn but once you get used to them they do flow more naturally. The music is also really good fun and the band behind the song also did the music for 'Ain't misbehavin'' so you know it's going to be a good track to dance to.

Dance Details
ScriptNa Na Na 

64 Count, AB Dance (Beginner Level) to 'Na Na Na' by Pentatonix and choreographed by Rob Fowler, Daan Geelan, Ivonne Verhagen, Giuseppe 
Scaccianoce & Kate Sala

Video from Youtube:



She wants a cowboy


Dee's final dance taught at the weekend was 'She wants a cowboy' which as I'm sure you've probably guessed from the title is to a country track. It's a slightly slower pace than some of the other dances we did over the weekend and the dance reminds me of 'Blue night cha'. I particularly like the press and sweep dance step in this one which you don't very often see in a country style line dance and it really stood out for me. I didn't find this dance particularly tricky and it is an improver so it is fairly easy to pick up. There is one restart but you can hear it in the music and you are facing the front wall anyway so you can just follow your instructor (or in our case Dee). I definitely think we'll be seeing more of this one.

Dance Details:

Script
She wants a cowboy

32 Count, 4 Wall, Improver dance to 'She wants a cowboy' by Dustin Lynch choreographed by Dee Musk.

Video from Youtube:



Kick a little dirt around


Our last teach of the weekend from Rob was 'Kick a little dirt around' which was co-choreographed with Heather Barton. This is a tricky little dance but I really liked it, it looks great and has some fantastic steps in it. It is fairly quick and it has a 'chorus' & a 'verse' with different steps for each so you do have to concentrate hard on this one. I particularly love the shuffles in each direction on this one and the music is so upbeat and great to dance to. I did try this one in the walk through but I just wasn't upto it at the time, really want to try this one again.

Dance Details

Script: Kick a little dirt around 

84 count, 4 wall, Advanced dance to 'Kick a little dirt around' by David Shelby and choreographed by Rob Fowler and Heather Barton

Video from Youtube:




I hope you enjoyed reading my post.

If you'd like to see the full DJ set lists for each of the three evenings you can view them by clicking the relevant links below:

Friday Night 
Saturday Night - CLICK TO WATCH ROB FOWLER DO 'THE BEAST'
Sunday Night - 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Thank you so much Gemma for a lovely write up of the weekend x

    ReplyDelete